09 September 2009

What's all the fuss about anyway?

The President of a country decides to address children of his nation on their first day of school and that becomes a big controversy. Why? I don't spot anything negative in his speech. Then why this huge protest? I simply cannot see the point of view of people who are angry with the President for apparently "interfering" with their kids lives!

If I were a student and I heard his speech, I'd have been inspired. I'd try to give school my best shot... instead of being shy, I'd have joined the drama club or participated in some competition to get over my stage fright.

If I were a parent, I would 100% want my children to watch his speech. I feel that my children would only be influenced positively by listening to the President (especially Mr. Obama). And after reading the text of his speech, it only strengthened that belief of mine.

It's a lot different when parents say things like "But at the end of the day, we can have the most dedicated teachers, the most supportive parents, and the best schools in the world – and none of it will matter unless all of you fulfill your responsibilities." and the President says these words to you.

I feel that his words will encourage kids to learn well and may be watch less TV and may be read a book, stay away from video games. If not for the whole year, at least for a few months. Isn't that what parents and teachers who protested want ultimately - For their children to do well and not give up on studying and give their best effort?

1 comment:

Priyanka Rajkhowa said...

I absolutely hear you Rush...some people just have this uncanny ability of fussing about and creating a hoopla around just about anything!!