12 October 2009

Good times

I have narrated some of my fond memories on this blog here and here . And in both these posts I have talked about a "big family house"... I have been skimming through my collection of photos to see if I had any pictures to share.. but sadly found none. So you can imagine how happy I was, when I saw an email from my cousin with exactly what I wanted. :)
View of the front gate from inside the compound

A glimpse of the main house


The Main structure


The side annex and the main building



The Annex
The small building on the side is the storage room. Housed all grains and what nots. This room was always locked and as kids we were never allowed to go unless in the company of an adult.
Walking down that dirt path straight ahead in between the trees was the pond.




This is where everyone gathered post lunch to chit chat... eventually ending up in afternoon naps for many adults and everything would become strangely quiet... until someone realizes it's time for the afternoon "chaya and tiffin" (tea and snacks). Did anyone count calories at all back then?



Kitchen Well - Where we got our fresh supply of drinking and cooking water. See how the pulley juts out of a window... that's actually a window in the kitchen. We cousins would have fights on deciding who would pull water from the well.

4 comments:

Priyanka Rajkhowa said...

Beautiful !!

Rush said...

Thanks Priyanka!

Shammi said...

What a BEAUTIFUL house! Absolutely stunning! How lucky you were to live there! Is it Kerala style or Chettinad? (I tend to get confused a bit about those) :)

Rush said...

Thank you, Shyam...and thanks for stopping by! Yep lucky indeed. It is Kerala style... Chettinad style have massive and beautiful pillars, no?