25 February 2010

In-law trouble of a different kind

Okay, I don't know if I should be writing about this.... but at this moment, its bothering the crap out of me. I am risking it and writing about it anyway. What is a blog for if I can't write what I feel like ?!

For the last 6 years that I've been married to V, the last thing I had to worry about was if he'd get along with my family. The time he spent with my parents were always nice and we always had a wonderful time. I don't know what went wrong and how it went wrong... but now that my mom is here, suddenly things have changed. We are having big time personality/communication issues... Suddenly my mom's good son-in-law has turned out to be the villain. V's critical reasoning, sarcasm and jokes are totally not working on my mom. She gets offended by a lot of things V says. His off-handed remarks are causing her a lot of pain! Its not her fault, some times V's style can come across as very arrogant....

I can understand where both of them are coming from, but there's really nothing I can do. If I try to reason with my mom she feels I am trying to support V... and there's only so much V can change, however he said he will change his ways.

Things could've been worse, but I hate to see that my mom feels this way... I hate conflicts & misunderstandings.

2 comments:

Priyanka Rajkhowa said...

Hmmm...that's always a difficult spot to be in...plus it's perhaps the first time that V and your mom are spending time under the same roof for an extended time...not to worry though...it just takes some time getting used to each other...I remember D being initially very jittery at the thought of my parents visiting us for 2 months...it all kind of worked out well in the end...it may just take a while ...so don't get too hassled about it !!

Rush said...

Hey Priyanka, Thanks so much! Yes this is the first time my mom is seeing V in his "territory"... so far he's always been a guest at my place. I am not sure if her feelings will change... we'll see. Its even more frustrating that there's really nothing I can do. I should understand that everyone can get along and I can live happily ever after ;)

I owe you a call...